Aerospace Modelling and Simulation Engineer (Senior or Associate)
Location: Adelaide CBD
Position Number: 1901
Overview of the Role
Southern Launch is looking for a modelling & simulation engineering to build computer simulations of launch vehicle trajectories, in support of launch operations and license applications.
You must have a high level of attention to detail and mental stamina to accurately complete important and complex calculations. You must be able to work in a team as well as independently. At all times it is expected you proactively seek the necessary inputs from colleague, customers, and reference materials and actively contribute to the planning of current and future project outcomes.
You have good technical report writing skills and understanding the most reliable and effective way to community complicated information to the reader, taking advantage of tables, diagrams and graphs as well as text where appropriate.
You are also an effective verbal communicator and can mentor junior team members.
- Prepare 6 DoF launch vehicle trajectory models using ASTOS
- Develop and run post processing tools in MATLAB
- Managing large data sets
- Automation of analysis tools
- Performance analysis of launch vehicles and suborbital rockets
- Conduct flight system hazard analysis
- Understand and model launch vehicle failures modes and effects on range safety
- Gather and process the required weather data needed as input to dispersion models
- (Senior Level) Responsible for the preparation of license applications
- (Associate Level) Contribute to the preparation of license applications
- Prepare inputs to range safety maps for public on the ground and airspace users
- (Senior Level) Working closely with launch campaign managers and executive management to identify and deliver all necessary flight safety data needed to successfully execute launch campaigns
- Post-flight analysis
- Follow requirements of, and contribute knowledge and processes to, Southern Launch’s quality management system
- Occasional presentation at technical conferences
- Support design studies for future launch customers
- Bachelors of Engineering in Aeronautical or Aerospace
- Thorough knowledge of flight mechanics of rockets or aircraft
- 5+ years working in an engineering role, with substantial portion of time working on design or analysis of new systems or products (10+ years for senior role)
- Strong and demonstrable abilities in MATLAB
- Must have, or be eligible to obtain, NV1 or higher Australian Government Security Clearance.
Other Highly Desirable Qualifications
- Post graduate degree in engineering or science
- Experience in launch vehicle or rocket trajectory analysis and optimization
- Demonstrated understanding of aerodynamics and high speed flows
- Risk & reliability experience
- Programming skills desirable - MATLAB, Simulink, C/C++, Python
- Experience with engineering CAD software
Please send your application via email to careers(at)southernlaunch.space with the position number as the subject and a copy of your resume and a 2 page cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate for the job.